Sunday, April 11, 2010

trading in who i've been for shiny celebrity skin




Yesterday was the big athletic banquet at Concordia. 300 Stingers athletes, all gathered in suits and ties and dresses, the girls bobbling awkwardly on heels that we all weren't accustomed to.

I was hesitant on going. I didn't want to see the men's hockey team.

I had a great 3 years travelling with those guys. I was the only girl around them, and the only reporter to travel with them to all of the road games. I learned so much from being around them--lessons related to journalism but also lessons about life, things I learned about myself, and I learned to just let things slide. I learned how to earn respect from a pack of wolves that never have respect for a girl. A girl, to them, wasn't something to respect. It was something to lie to, toy with, sleep with, then laugh about it the next day.

If I hadn't travelled with that team, if I hadn't learned the rules of the game(and I'm not talking about hockey)--then I never in a million years would have one-upped an NHL player like I did last month. In the locker room in North Carolina, he went on a good 2 minute schpiel in french about how hot he thought I was, since he figured nobody around him spoke french.

I went over, called him out on it, and we all thought it was hysterical. But you know what? He'll never forget me. I would never have that kind of courage, that kind of guts, if it wasn't for what that team has taught me.

But at the end of the day, they're all hockey players. And that's saying enough. At the end of the season, I was propositioned so many times that I lost count. All of these guys have steady, long-term girlfriends. At the clubs, I'd get groped and lost in the gang of them.

I'm so tired of these boys. Of this scene. Of these guys who think that it's their right to have any girl they want, without even asking. And not just have any girl--but have them all. These douchebags that have a steady girlfriend and who still sleep with any girl that so much as glances at them.

I skipped the after-party at the club. I want to get away from this world. Clubs are fake. People put on a facade and bump and grind against each other, all after somehting so fleeting and superficial that it's not worth half the effort or time it took to get ready for the night. I'm tired of the fake interaction.

I want someone real. Someone who probably would have skipped out on a night of clubbing with horndog athletes too, because of how ridiculous and shallow it all is.

I need a break from hockey players. I need a break from boys who think it's okay to put their hands on a girl without asking. Boys who have a girlfriend but still think it's okay to sleep with other women. Boys who think the world should worship the ground they walk on, boys who are full of themselves and cocky as shit, boys who swagger when they walk, boys who are dumb and can't pronounce a word that has more than 3 syllables.

Please, god, tell me there are men out there who don't play hockey.

I need believe there are still some decent boys left.

The next man I date, the very first question I'll ask him is "Do you play hockey?"

No comments:

Post a Comment