Friday, July 9, 2010

so that's where you've been

What an amazing song:



The street is loud tonight. For a smallish town, Halifax has a hell of a nightlife. People here just live to party. It makes me wish I enjoyed partying more, but I just don't. I'd so much rather sit by a beach until midnight or read a book. The clubs just get to me on a level that kind of makes me hate all human interaction because it all seems so phony and fake. But when I hear the loud shrieks and the laughter amongst a group of friends smashed out of their minds, it makes me wish I didn't have such a heavy heart. I wish I could find fun in it, I'd probably get out a lot more and meet more people. My mind never stops. I wish it did. I wish I didn't think about everything so deeply. I wish I got turned on instead of rolling my eyes in repulse when a drunk frat boy gropes at me in a club. Maybe if I giggled, more things would go my way. Maybe if I just didn't care about my training program, I'd go out a lot more too. But I run everyday. Happy hour is not going to replace the interval session that I usually do at that time. I care too much about running to push it to the side in favour of drinks. And I'm not going to go out partying all night if I know that I have a hill run at 6AM the next day. Maybe that makes me anti-social, who knows.

I'm not homesick. In fact, it took me leaving Montreal to realize just how much I hate it there. It will drain your soul. And every time I think about how I have to go back there, I want to be sick. I want this summer to last forever. I want it to be infinite. Time should freeze right where it is. I'm 23, it's the heat of the summer, and I'm in a place that I should never have to leave. I don't want the grown up job, the responsibilities, the adult life. I want this moment. I want this place.

Speaking of grown up jobs. Of course it's cruel irony that after 4 years of trying to get officially hired by the Habs, the moment I move to Halifax, I actually get a call back on a position that I applied for. For four years when I was in Montreal, I busted my ass to get my foot in the door. I interned. I did bitch work. I did anything and everything I could, I never got paid, and I just hoped it would turn into something. Whenever job openings popped up, I'd jump on them and hope they'd remember me as a keener, willing to do anything for that team. I always got passed up. I needed to get away so I move, and now, I have an interview for a full time position with them.

It's a great opportunity, but all I can think about is how much I don't want to go back. Maybe it'll be okay. Maybe it'll work out. Maybe one day I can own a chalet in Halifax that I'd run away to every summer.

God, I'd love that.

It's not time to go yet. My gut is telling me it's not time yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment