Monday, June 8, 2009

forgetting why, remembering how

Coming back from vacation has to be one of the hardest things in the world to do. Spending a week in Carribbean paradise only to come crashing back to a world of summer classes, part-time jobs and boys who mess with your head is so unpleasant. At this time last week, I was sipping rum from a giant coconut and I had my toes digging in the sand.

Reality check.

Maybe the thing that makes vacations so sweet is the fact that they're so elusive.

When I came back on Saturday, I felt the burning desire to change something quite drastically. Travelling has always had a weird effect on me, I love it so much. Home is always a foreign concept because to me, home is wherever I am. I can make my home out of a few tree branches nd a lake and be happy as a clam. I'm at my best when travelling with no return date in mind--just a backpack of essentials, and endless possibilities.
Things had been a bit amuck before I left, between applying for internships that I desperately want to studying for midterms at the end of May (yuck) to a stupid guy who probably isn't worth half the amount of time I spend being angry at kind of liking him. I had forgotten about all of that while frolicking in the ocean, and when I came back I felt like I had my priorities pretty messed up before I left.
Something needed to change, I needed to feel different. So I did a classic thing that most girls do--I changed my hair.

My hair has alaways been my trademark, everyone knows me for my boisterous, obnoxious head of brown curls that can take over the stratosphere. While my curls are still in tact (they'll never change, I love them), I got bangs. I haven't had bangs since I was 8. And just that simple move of cutting a few inches off of a select group of hairs was enough to change my entire look and satisfy my need for something different.






Next up on the menu of change is a 14-hour road trip out to Nova Scotia with my best friend, in two weeks. Why? Because I've always wanted to see the Maritimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment