Tuesday, June 9, 2009

mirror mirror on the wall...

"There are two things every girl must be: classy & fabulous."

Coco Chanel's slogan really irks me. I hate how there's so much emphasis that in order for a woman to be beautiful, she has to have a closet full of ridiculously uncomfortable shoes, the right words always on the tip of her tongue, and a way of manoeuvring through life smooth as butter.

I admire the girls that can walk in 4 inch stilettos, I do. And I respect a woman that can pull of a dress that looks like it's missing 3/4 of it's material on the hanger. I almost envy a woman who is elegant, classy, and perfectly put together.

At the same time, though, I think there's something ridiculously endearing about a girl who can trip over her own two bare feet, and probably take you down with her. There's something charming about a girl who doesn't always need to wear make up, and who is completely comfortable leaving her house in a sweatshirt and messy ponytail. There's something alluring about a girl in flip flops who sometimes chokes on her words or speaks in gibberish and finds it hilarious when you get that confused look on your face.

I've never been a classy or elegant girl. You can dress me up, but you can't take me anywhere. I'll trip, flail, tumble, and I'll think it's so hilarious that I'll sit on the floor loudly guffawing at the spectacle of myself. I don't always wear make up. I don't like make up. My hair is never perfectly in place--it's a wild pouf of messy curls that I can just barely manage on a daily basis. Give me a sweatshirt instead of a classy dress and I'll show you a good time. I love jumping in pools fully clothed, sometimes I snort when I laugh really heartily, and chinese food is best eaten right out of the containers.

I don't have the gorgeous, buttery gold skin and perfect legs. My legs are strong from years of running and my shoulders are usually slightly burnt or peeling from the long hours spent outside.

I've never been classy or fabulous. I've never even been elegant. And not so long ago, I'd look at the girls that were and I'd envy them. Now...now, I think there's something equally as beautiful and charming about a girl that is none of those things, but everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment