Saturday, June 25, 2011

take some time and think about it

Photo #21:

Downtown Halifax is separated into three main parts--South End, where I lived last year, mainstream downtown by the harbour, and North End, where I live this year. North End is the cultural district of Halifax, on my street there's about 6 Greek tavernas, a few Turkish coffee houses, a ton of Korean restos and some dodgy Donair joints. There's also a wide open space called the Commons. The Commons are....they're strange. It's just this massive urban square space that's about 6 city blocks in total. There's 9 baseball fields, 4 soccer fields, a running track, and 3 football fields, and various winding walking paths. The grandeur is ridiculous. And despite the fact that it's a wide open space--somehow, walking across it, I always get lost. The path turns and twists and while the whole time you can see exactly where you're going, you get so disoriented because everything looks the same. The 360 view around you with the buildings and trees looks exactly the same, no matter which way you turn. Many time I thought I was headed home only to come face to face with Citadel Hill--on the opposite end of where I need to be. This beautiful fountain is facing where I live (I think), and it just looked regal with the backdrop of heavy clouds that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment